“But the human tongue can be tamed by no man. It is a restless (undisciplined, irreconcilable) evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who were made in God’s likeness! Out of the same mouth comes forth blessing and cursing. These things, my brethren, ought not to be so.” (James 3:8-10)
Our future is directly determined by the words we speak in our everyday lives. The faith-filled words we speak from the Word of God also play an important role in our future! With our words we are condemned and with our words we are blessed. It is totally up to us which path to choose. God says “this day I have set before you life and death. Choose life.”
* Life says “By His stripes I AM healed!”
* Death says “my father died of cancer, his father died of cancer and I’m going to die of cancer.”
Words are used to tear down when we allow the devil to use our mouths against other people. He wants to control our tongue because he knows the power it wields to create and to destroy. You see the results in people around you. The gossip, the verbal abuser and the judge. How many lives have been derailed because of evil words and word curses spoken over them?
The greatest and most precious possession we have is our Bible . This book is a wealth of powerful, life-changing words that, when spoken out in faith, can literally turn any situation around for our good and God’s glory! The Bible has the answer and the tools you need to overcome any situation life throws at you.
The battle for control of the human tongue started in the Garden of Eden and continues to this day. If we can allow the Holy Spirit complete control of our tongue, we can turn the world upside down for Jesus! Who is in this battle for the tongue? Our spirit-man is battling our flesh (soul & body) and the devil. This natural world is negative. Just look around you. Its negative on TV, on the radio and on the Internet. Everywhere you look there are negative actions and words going out. We naturally lean towards the negative. We have to discipline ourselves to be positive. Try it for a day and see what happens!
How can you harness the power of your words? Everybody is different. We all have different personalities and preferences. God deals with each one of us differently. God has shown me what I need to do to harness the power of words. He may have a whole different plan for each of you. There are, however, some common things that need to happen to begin this process.
* You must begin to develop an intimate relationship with God each day. It all goes back to relationship. It’s the intimate relationship that is going to give you the confidence in His Word and it’s ability to change your world. It is built line upon line, precept upon precept; here a little and there a little. Day by day interaction with Him.
* You must commit to hiding the Word in your heart. That is to read it and study it. Every day read it out loud. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. There is something about hearing it that makes it “stick.”
* Give your tongue to God every day before you step out the front door. Say a scripture like “Lord, I ask that You set a watch over my mouth and a guard over my lips today that I might not sin against You with my mouth.”
* Make a conscious decision each day to be aware of the words you speak. Think about what you are about to say. Ask yourself if they are words of life or words of death. The old saying “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” is a true statement. Proverbs says that even a fool is considered wise when he doesn’t speak.
* Finally, ask the Lord to show you what you need to do to line up your words with His plan for your life. He will do it.
The words you speak today, whether they are the Word of God in faith or destructive words, they WILL shape your future. Let God have control of your tongue and move into a better future!