“And the Lord said to him, This is the land which I swore to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, I will give it to your descendants. I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not go over there.
So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord. And He buried him in the valley of the land of Moab opposite Beth-peor, but no man knows where his tomb is to this day.”
Moses was one hundred twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim nor his natural force abated….And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. None equal to him in all the signs and wonders which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt–to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land. And in all the mighty power and all the great and terrible deeds which Moses wrought in the sight of all Israel.” (Deuteronomy 34:4-7, 10-12)
Moses was one of a kind. The Word says there is “none equal to him” in all the miracles he did for the Lord. Even Elijah, as awesome as his wonders were are not equal to Moses. Here are a few of the wonders Moses did:
- He threw his rod down and it became a serpent.
- He turned the Nile river into blood.
- He released a multitude of frogs into all the land of Egypt.
- He released swarms of mosquitoes throughout the land.
- He released blood-sucking gadflies into all the land of Egypt.
- He released the plague that killed all Egyptian livestock, but none of the Israelite livestock was harmed.
- He released boils and sores on all the Egyptians.
- He released hailstorms on the land of Egypt.
- He released swarms of locusts throughout the land of Egypt.
- He released the angel of death (through God’s authority) into all of Egypt. Death of the firstborn.
- He lead over one million people from Egypt through the desert for forty years.
- He parted the Red Sea with his staff.
- He smote the rock and water gushed out.
- He spent a total of 80 days and nights face to face with God Almighty receiving the Law, which is still established to this day.
- He saw God’s physical back as He passed by.
- And many others too numerous to list here.
How was Moses able to do these awesome things? The Lord Almighty gave Moses an awesome level of authority. Exodus 7:1 “The LORD said to Moses, Behold, I make you as God to Pharaoh [to declare My will and purpose to him]; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.”
This one statement defined Moses until the day he died. And when his job ended and he handed the torch to Joshua. God gave Moses a totally impossible job to do but he did it through the face to face relationship he had with Him. The Lord immortalized Moses in the beautiful eulogy written in Deuteronomy 34. Moses knew God face to face.
We may or may not do the kinds of signs and wonders Moses did, but through the Blood of Jesus, we too can know Him face to face. If we are willing to pay the price to go there.